FAA Unmanned Aerial Systems Center of Excellence News Conference
May 14, 2015
Members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives held a news conference to discuss the next steps and goals for the newly-named Unmanned Aerial Systems Center of Excellence (UAS COE), a consortium of universities that will research and develop technologies and policies for the use of unmanned aerial systems in the United States.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has named the Alliance for System Safety of UAS through Research Excellence (ASSURE), a consortium of universities headed by Mississippi State University, to lead the UAS COE.
Those at the new sonference included:
- Senator Thad Cochran (R-Miss.)
- FAA Administrator Michael Huerta
- Senator John Hoeven (R-N.D.)
- Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)
- Senator Roger Wicker (R-Miss.)
- Representative Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.)
- Representative Gregg Harper (R-Miss.)
- President Mark Keenum, Mississippi State University
- Maj. Gen. James Poss, (ret.) U.S. Air Force, ASSURE UAS Executive Director
- Officials from Mississippi State University, University of North Dakota, North Carolina State University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Drexel University, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, New Mexico State University, Oregon State University, and Louisiana Tech University